October 31, 2010

Happy halloween

Boy has this week been busy.  My boys had a halloween party at school Friday, and we had trick or treat today.  I haven't had time for a lot of crafting this week, but I did manage to squeeze in a quick halloween project for the boys.

Today I made their trick or treat bags using heat transfer vinyl.  I used the Pumpkin Carving cartridge for the haunted house image, and Opposites attract for the names.  It was fairly strait forward.  The haunted house images were cut at 5 inches, and the names at 3 inches.  They are fairly small bags as my boys are only 2 & 3, but they loved their treat sacks.  I also added a bit of ribbon around the top with some no-sew fabric glue.

I have a few photos of the HTV process in my camera that I will add later.

I began with my gypsy.  I used an image from Pumpkin Carving, and mirror imaged it on my gypsy.  I also added the boys names and mirror imaged them.  The images were all cut using my expression, 3 for speed, 3 for pressure, and a blade depth of 3.  You need to be careful when cutting vinyl.  You want to cut thru the vinyl, but leave the backing sheet in tact.  This can take some practice, but once you get the right settings it will become easy.

 The final step before transfer to to weed out the negative of the image.  I love the tool included in the cricut tool kit for this.  Be sure to leave what you want to transfer on the backing sheet.  Once the image has been weeded apply it to your fabric using the hottest setting on your iron (no steam).  See finished project above

No comments:

Post a Comment